Mold will often show up as splotches on the wall or what looks to be stains, almost like dirt. The harmless appearance of fungus causes a person to lower his or her guard when it comes to cleaning things up, and that is a serious mistake. Mold such as black mold carry mycotoxins that are threats to anyone’s respiratory health. Jeans and a T-shirt are the last things to be worn when cleaning up extensive amounts of mold. Indeed, the potential health risks are sufficient to warrant the wearing of protective clothing when cleaning up moldy areas.
An essential feature of the protective clothing is that it reduces the chances of skin contact with mold to nil. If the mold deposits are very small, protective gear might not require more than a good pair of gloves, long sleeved shirt, and a pair of pants. If the problem is more several, however, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends that an N-95 respirator be worn to avoid accidentally breathing in mold spores. It is import that the mask fit comfortably. Gloves to be worn ought to extend up to the middle of the forearm and ordinary rubber gloves may be worn if all the job requires is water and detergent. However, stronger chemicals and biocides will necessitate gloves made from rubber or neoprene. The EPA further suggests that goggles be worn to prevent mold from getting into the eyes.
Every effort must be made to make certain there is no direct contact with the mold. Once the job is complete, the clothing should be removed, again avoiding skin contact, and washed immediately. This may seem a bit much, but a person about to tackle a mold cleaning job must keep a few things in mind. The health risk is truly there; anyone with respiratory problems needs to be careful. Moreover, the mold can get onto the clothing and although not in direct contact with the skin, the spores may cling to the fabric. What can then happen is that the individual walks away from the work area and unknowingly becomes an agent of transport for mold spores to other parts of the house.
Of course, it might be better if other people were the ones wearing the protective clothing. A homeowner may want to try removing mold as a DIY project and avoid the cost of a professional mold remover. This might not be a good idea if the infestation covers entire walls or all of a room. Because the contamination in such cases is so great that mold removing professionals may have to be called in to solve the problem. These people have protective clothing as part of their gear and wear it while cleaning out entire rooms. The protective gear and clothing is a bit more sophisticated than what an amateur might wear. This is because the mold removal is more extensive and can include full face respirators and one piece coveralls that completely cover the surface of the body, and a hood to protect the head.
Care has to be taken in removing any mold. No one wants to solve a household problem by exposing themselves to health hazards, and the danger can be avoided with the right clothing. Again, the clothes must be washed or even discarded after the job is over, in order to prevent mold spores from finding a new home in the folds of a shirt or the creases of a pair of pants.